Re: TR3 leaky rear end

To: mrv8q@netscape.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 leaky rear end
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:58:40 EDT
In a message dated 4/27/2005 10:02:35 PM Central Standard Time,
mrv8q@netscape.net writes:
> Hello, listers,  I replaced the differential cover gasket on my TR3 when I
> first got it,  because there was a fair amount of leakage. I must have done a
> poor job, because it's worse than before. Aftr scraping off the old gasket,
> I used the thin cardboard gasket from TRF, with a thin coating on both sides
> of Permatex Hi Temp RTV Silicon gasket sealant. Have you any tips for my
> second attempt at this job? Thanks in advance for your time and advice!

My experience with RTV gasket sealers is that they are finicky and do not
seal to surfaces that have even a slight hint of oil.  I much prefer
Form-A-Gasket #2 for this application.  It is much more tolerant of less than
scrupulously
clean mating surfaces.

Dave