TR3 - outside mirror idea

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 - outside mirror idea
From: "Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 19:30:05 +0200 (CEST)
List,

My TR3A came with an aftermarket outside mirror, mounted on the windscreen
gutter, much like this one:

http://www.holden.co.uk/product_display.asp?product_code=090.124

However, after I fitted wind wings there was no place left for the outside
mirror. I simply left it off (the dash mirror gives ample view to the
rear), until I realised that I was breaking the law. In this country, all
roadgoing cars must have at least one outside mirror, fitted on the
driver's side.

So, what to do? I like the 'clean' front without mirrors and I love the
paint job on my car, so I was *not* going to take a drill to the front
wing. I briefly considered fitting the mirror to the wind wing, either by
clamping it to the edge, or bolting it through a hole in the perspex, but
then I had an idea. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll first
show what I've done.

Work in progess:

  http://www.intuh.net/trmirror/trmirror_01.jpg

Fitted:

  http://www.intuh.net/trmirror/trmirror_02.jpg

I initially made the bracket in 1.5mm aluminium sheet, to prove the
concept. Then I transferred the shape to 2mm brass sheet. The shape
follows the curvature of the top of the windscreen. The 'arm' has a slight
twist/bend to it, to compensate for the rake of the windscreen and prevent
the top of the mirror from touching the bracket. The fasteners are
standard Tenax.

After a thorough test drive today, I find the mirror is perfectly usable
and the assembly doesn't vibrate half as much as I expected. The only
disadvantage is that it needs to come off when the top is fitted - but I'm
not planning to ever drive with the top on, so that doesn't bother me.

All it needs now is a final polish and chrome plating. Maybe I'll drill
some extra holes in it first to lighten it and give it that 'racy' look!
:-)

I remember some people on this list being anxious about drilling their
freshly painted front wings for mirrors - maybe this can be an alternative
for them.

Cheers,

Eric

--
'57 TR3A TS23315L - now with outside mirror again
'76 Spit FH88257L - engine back in, needs radiator recore