RE: Long Trip Preparation in TR4A

To: "Triumph Email List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Long Trip Preparation in TR4A
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 11:11:06 -0700
> Space is a big issue on a long trip, so I'm concerned on what other
> spares to take. I've considered a fuel pump,

Any VW shop will have a little Facet electrical pump that can be quickly
substituted for the original pump ... IMO it's not worth carrying an original.
They're a PITA to change anyway ... if you're going to carry a spare, carry the
Facet.

> water pump

Not unreasonable, but they're big and heavy.  Besides, I've driven hundreds of
miles with a leaking water pump, it's not that big a deal.  On long trips in the
TR, I always take a small cooler filled with ice and drinking water ... melted
ice will do for coolant in a pinch (as will drinking water).

> and a carb rebuild kit,

Good idea.

> So, does anybody have any other "must take" tools/spares/sundries?

I like to carry a quart of oil, a pint of brake fluif, and a tube of Aluma-Seal
(radiator stop leak).  Also a few "clip leads" (insulated wires with insulated
alligator clips at each end).  Radio Shack will sell you a pack of them for
under $10 (I like the medium size ones).  With those along, you can skip the
splices and soldering iron (and solder).

A "car blanket" is worth the space it takes up, IMO.  One of those synthetic
felt things that rolls up small (and fits snugly in a gallon zip-lock freezer
Baggie) comes in quite handy to lay on while working on the car, or for a
roadside picnic, or if your SO gets cold legs while driving in the evening.
Yes, it's summertime but you're going through either mountains or desert, and
both get cold at night even in the summer.  I also keep a rain parka rolled up
small and packed in a baggie.  Don't use it much myself, definitely not sweet
enough to melt, but my passengers have been grateful on several occasions.

> Once I've got how much room the "car" needs, then I can tell my wife how
> much she can take!!!

I do hope you've got a luggage rack !

Randall