Re: Long Trip Preparation in TR4A

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Long Trip Preparation in TR4A
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 12:37:34 -0700
Randall wrote:
>>Space is a big issue on a long trip, so I'm concerned on what other
>>spares to take. I've considered a fuel pump,
>
> Any VW shop will have a little Facet electrical pump that can be quickly
> substituted for the original pump ... IMO it's not worth carrying an original.
> They're a PITA to change anyway ... if you're going to carry a spare, carry
>the
> Facet.

Factory mechanical pumps are quite reliable. But it never hurts to carry
a new rubber seal for the glass cup and a rebuild kit.  They take up
virtually no space, no weight and a fuel pump rebuild is one of the
easier roadside rebuildible things on the vehicle.

>>water pump

usually it is the front seal that goes on one of those.  It just means
you carry lots of water.  If you loose a front seal call a parts house &
asked one to be overnighted to the next place you intend to spend the
night.  Meanwhile you top off the coolant frequently to get to your next
evening destination.

>>So, does anybody have any other "must take" tools/spares/sundries?
>
> I like to carry a quart of oil, a pint of brake fluif, and a tube of
>Aluma-Seal
> (radiator stop leak).

Tools.  Whatever you would need to do a tune up, change a hose, rebuild
a fuel pump, replace a water pump and check fluid levels.

Fan belt!  A complete tune up kit (plugs, points condenser, cap, rotor &
a back up set of spark plug wires).  A spare for that 12V wire that goes
between the distributor and coil.  They sometimes fatigue and the metal
wire will break inside the plastic insulation.  Looks OK but your engine
keeps cutting out.  With a copper vacuum advance line, carry a couple
end furls.  If the tube fatigues it will be right at the nut holding it
on.  A new furl & your back on your way.  A spare oil filter.  You will
want to change oil every 3K miles & an oil change shop will likely not
have a R filter in stock. Spare fuses, spare stop light switch.  The
currently available ones don't seem to last like the old ones did.

I'm a believer in the concept that the best breakdown is the one you
prevent before you leave home.  So be sure to do a full service well
before leaving home.  Check belt, check hoses, replace all fluids
including brake fluids. pull the rear drums & inspect the shoes, lube
everything.  Make sure all the lights work, check wiper blades.  If you
have wire wheels regrease the splines before leaving.  Check your 'U'
joints carefully & replace at any sign of wear.

On the trip pay particular attention to 90 wt levels.  You do not want
to be out in the middle of nowhere and have your gearbox or rear end go
out.  Schedule a stop at an oil place every few days just to have them
check the 90 wt until you are very sure the level is not going down.

A couple years ago I was driving my 1960 Land Rover from California to
New York and came across a TR returning  from VTR national with a dry
gearbox near Chicago.  It is easy to forget the 90 wt & assume it is
there when in fact it may be dripping out.

All that said these are very reliable vehicles when they are in good
condition and you religiously follow the factory maintenance schedule.
its just that some of use may need to get caught up on the schedule
before leaving for a trip

TeriAnn