Long Trip Preparation in TR4A

To: Triumph Email List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Long Trip Preparation in TR4A
From: John & Patricia Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 09:17:20 -0700
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are planning on taking the TR for a long trip, including
VTR2005 in Rockford, and southern Canada. From San Diego it'll be about
6000 miles in 3 weeks. I haven't taken a real long road trip in 30 years
in the car and most of the driving will be on highways at 60-75 MPH
ranges (how I convinced her to do this I don't know).  The car's in
pretty good shape, was totally rebuilt 3 years ago, engine is strong,
suspension is good, electricals are good, so I'm not too worried about
making it. But I am worried about space and what spares to take.

Here's what I have so far:
Basic tool set (ratchets, wrenches, drivers, multimeter)
Sundries (duct tape, bail wire, nuts, screws, hose clamps)
Sundries (permatex aviation glue, hylomar, rtv, gasket material)
Sundries (elect wire, splices, tape, propane solder iron)
Spares (electrical - points, rotor, condenser, cap, plug, bulb, fuse)
Spares (hoses - radiator top/bottom, front, bypass, fuel)
Spares (emergency fan belt)
All of the above should fit in the spare wheel well.

Space is a big issue on a long trip, so I'm concerned on what other
spares to take. I've considered a fuel pump, water pump and a carb
rebuild kit, but only want to take what I need. I have AAA+ so I've got
100 miles free towing.

So, does anybody have any other "must take" tools/spares/sundries?

Once I've got how much room the "car" needs, then I can tell my wife how
much she can take!!!

Johnnie
'67 TR4A