Re: New exhaust system help.

To: jimbar@centurytel.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New exhaust system help.
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 11:40:25 EDT
In a message dated 5/5/2005 11:46:16 PM Central Standard Time,
jimbar@centurytel.net writes:
> Hi All,
> I recently installed a new exhaust system on my TR6 and am having
> "issues" with sealing off all the connections. It seems no mater how
> tight I get the clamps they still leak. Not that this is really a
> problem in of itself, but the fumes are getting into the car and that
> does bother me when the top's up. What have others done for this?
> Welding isn't an option because I'd like to be able to remove the pipes
> for servicing the car in the future.

Sorry, too late.  There is a sealing product for exhaust systems but you must
apply it to the connections before assembly.  Since you have already
tightened the clamps you have crimped the pipes together and it will be very
difficult
to get them back apart in a usable manner.

I saw a tool (I forget whether it was in the JC Whatnot catalog or the
Eastwood catalog) that was for extracting pipes from each other.  It consists
of two
clamps that clamp to either pipe section and two jack screws to push them
apart.  This might pull the pipes apart after which you could use an exhaust
pipe
expansion tool to reform the outer pipe and then reassemble with the exhaust
pipe sealer.  But I've never tried it.

Another option is to cut out the offending connections with a Sawz-All  and
have a muffler shop make up some patch pieces you can use to bridge the gaps
and assemble these with the sealer.

Good luck

Dave