RE: Rear End Play

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear End Play
From: "Francis Precht" <FPrecht@frostburg.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 09:25:18 -0400
>First make sure the hub is tight to the trailing arm.  The studs in the
>trailing arm (which is aluminum) have a nasty habit of pulling out.  If this
is the
>case you may have to repair the threads on the trailing arm and reattach the
>hub.  If you're lucky, this is your problem.
>Dave Massey

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it is exactly what I found this weekend on my
'65 TR4A - one of the  studs is stripped.  I was thinking of using a helicoil
in the trailing arm to repair - is this appropriate ?  Will there be enough
'meat' in the aluminum of the trailing arm for strength around the stud then
?

Is removing the hub as straight forward as backing off the outer axle shaft
nut (#88 Moss pg 50 most recent catalog, part # 310-620) and withdrawing the
hub ?  (and of course, backing off the remaining 5 nylocs on the other 5
studs).  I'm a little concerned with what happens to the bearings & oil seals
& spacers if I go ahead and just jump in.

Any advice very welcome (the Haynes manual is a little less than explicit on
this one).
Thanks,
Bud Precht
'65 TR4A