Re: Rear End Play

To: <dalebonn@netnitco.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear End Play
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 09:21:10 -0600
Dale, if you really have that much end play your rear axle bearing is probably
gone, although you may get extremely lucky and the inboard bearing adjustment
nut somehow got loose (although this is unlikely since the nut would have to
move counter to the axle rotation).  First I would make sure the outer nut is
on tight, if so then I would remove the rear hub.  Separate the entire rear
hub from the swing arm, remove the u-joint closest to the hub, and unless you
have the proper tools, bring the hub to a shop that has worked on TR6 rear
hubs before in order to separate the hub.  You can also send it to a shop that
specializes in them, but I cant think of one right now.  Perhaps a search on
the archives will help.  If you have a good vise and two 2 1/8" (I think) open
end wrenches, you can replace the bearing yourself, but for a little more
dough you might as well have the shop put them in.

John

I finally drove my 73 TR6 to work today.  It's an 8 mile drive.  When I
got to the office, a banging noise was coming from the left rear wheel.
About an hour later I drove it around in the parking lot and could not
duplicate the sound.  So at lunch, I drove it home.

I only have an hour for lunch.   I quickly put it on a jack and checked
the wheel.  Even though the wheel is tight, there is about 1/4 to 3/8 of
an inch of "end play".  I drove my other car back to the office.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the first things to check.

As always, any ideas are deeply appreciated.

Dale VanCleef
'73 TR6 - CF985U
- ---SCCA - 337056