Re: Rear End Play

To: FPrecht@frostburg.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear End Play
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 12:15:59 EDT
In a message dated 5/9/2005 8:55:58 AM Central Standard Time,
FPrecht@frostburg.edu writes:
> Sorry to hijack the thread, but it is exactly what I found this weekend on
> my
> '65 TR4A - one of the  studs is stripped.  I was thinking of using a
> helicoil
> in the trailing arm to repair - is this appropriate ?  Will there be enough
> 'meat' in the aluminum of the trailing arm for strength around the stud then
> ?
>
> Is removing the hub as straight forward as backing off the outer axle shaft
> nut (#88 Moss pg 50 most recent catalog, part # 310-620) and withdrawing the
> hub ?  (and of course, backing off the remaining 5 nylocs on the other 5
> studs).  I'm a little concerned with what happens to the bearings &oil seals
> &spacers if I go ahead and just jump in.

Helicoil is at least as strong as the original.

Do not back off the outer nut.  This is part of the pressed together assembly
and is more work than is necessary.  To pull the hub you only need to undo
the six nuts holding the hub in place and (as the book recommends) separate the
half shaft flange from he differential flange and pull the hub out of the
trailing arm.

Sounds easy but it is typical on a car 30 years old or more for the steel hub
to be a bit corroded to the aluminum trailing arm and it will take a little
work to get them separated. Also, an option is to separate the spline joint in
the half shafts but lining them up on reinstallation can be tricky.  And if
your gaiters are marginal they might tear in the process.

Also, I left out the part about removing the brake drum, shoes and all
associated springs.  But on the whole it is not a tough job.

Dave