Re: TR4 driving lamps

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 driving lamps
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 09:51:00 -0600
John Howard wrote:

> Once again my enthusiasm for vintage stuff has bested me. Via EBAY
> i've obtained original in the box fog and driving lamps.... Of course,
> I now discover that there is no easy installation. ... I REALLY need
> these things because my wife is always asking for a drive on dark and
> foggy nights!

John, congrats! Be sure to install an under the dash engine shut-off
switch so you can fake running out of gas up near Makeout Point on dark
foggy nights. Revington TR UK carries a stainless TR4/5 lamp bar for
about 40 GBP. From the photo on their site it looks like their bar has
tabs on the outside ends for the lights -- I just sent them a note to
confirm that the ghostly looking tabs in the web photo are really there,
will update when I hear.

Or you can hunt down a factory badge bar like the one shown on Brian
Sanborn's late car:
    http://webpages.charter.net/sanborn/Badge_Bar.htm
According to the PO of my TR4, my badge bar is the one that Vern Burnett
used to make those reproductions. I'd be happy to offer the bar up again
if someone wanted to make another run -- you might contact the New
Product Manager at Joe Alexander Industries to see if he'll make a run.
:) Maybe he'd even make them with or without lamp tabs. The downside is
that there's still no easy way to mount lamps on the originals -- you'll
still need a badge bar lamp adaptor like the one that triple-c carries:
part #613, $18.95, http://www.triple-c.com, NFI. I haven't found another
vendor that carries them, and I've really looked.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4