RE: TR3 Turn signal flash rate

To: <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Turn signal flash rate
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 19:16:10 -0700
> My left hand turn signal has a cycle time about 1.5 times as long as
> the right hand one does.  Any suggestions on what to do to make them
> the same???

Find out where the high resistance is, and fix it.

I'd start by making sure that the bulb types are the same on both sides, and
that the front park/turn is both wired and grounded properly. It's not uncommon
to find the filaments reversed or the ground open entirely.  While you've got
the bulbs out, switch them from side to side ... if the problem follows the bulb
then you've got a weak bulb (their "on" resistance does go up as they age).
Wouldn't hurt to double-check the ground at the rear either ... I ran additional
ground wires to all of the rear lamps since I was always having trouble with the
grounding through the mounting screws.

If none of that helps, you may have a bad connection somewhere, or a corroded
wire.  My next step would be to install a temporary jumper across the flasher
terminals (so the lights stay on instead of flashing) and check the voltage at
each lamp (with the bulb in place and operating, which means pulling the holder
out of it's rubber boot).  If the voltage is low at both front & rear, then the
problem is in the common part of the circuit between the switch (which might be
at fault itself) and the wiring harness.  If it's only front or rear, that
identifies which wire is the problem.

Randall