Re: Coil

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Coil
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 21:21:25 -0600
Acey2525@aol.com wrote:

>Hi folks, I just got a flat bed tow home -- I'm pretty sure the coil  went.
>What's the life expectancy of a coil, do they just die like that  with no
>warning?  Is this another spare I should carry?  :)

I carry a spare coil because 1. mine died 1 hour after I bought my TR4,
1000 miles from home, and b. they're fairly small and inexpensive, yet
not always found at chain stores. The coil is mounted to the block,
which may not be an ideal location for longest life. Some of the TRs
that run long distance TSDs mount a backup coil on the fender, or at
least relocate the coil to the fender.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO
'62 TR4 x 2