RE: Coil

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Coil
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:44:13 -0700
> Hi folks, I just got a flat bed tow home -- I'm pretty sure the coil  went.
> What's the life expectancy of a coil, do they just die like that  with no
> warning?

Barring unusual circumstances, they should last 50 years or more.

>  Is this another spare I should carry?  :)

Opinions vary, obviously, but I don't.  The wrecked TR3A is still wearing the
coil I bought at K-mart around 1988 (old one was physically damaged).  The 56
TR3 I recently bought runs just fine on what appears to be it's original coil.

Almost any small town auto parts store should have a coil that would get you
home.  Might take some creativity with the wires, and a ballast resistor would
be a good idea, but not absolutely essential for a few hundred miles.

Randall