RE: Coil

To: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Coil
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 15:25:20 -0700
I replied to this twice and it never did come through ... guess I need to be
more brief.

> You bought a
> new TR3 to take the place of your wrecked one?

Yup, found it on eBay last December.  Truly ironic, I drove to Minnesota to buy
a TR3B but came home empty handed after it turned out to not be as advertised.
I'm sorry, "no rust perforations" does not include holes the size of golf balls
!  But then I found a much better car, for less money, less than 5 miles from my
house !

> Is it, as you described your last one, a "rat rod"?  OD?

It has some mods from the previous owner, some of which I will undo.  No OD at
present, but eventually it will receive the OD from the wrecked car.  I will be
modifying it more as the mood strikes me, but I'm still planning to get it on
the road first.

>  Did you buy it completely
> restored, partially restored?  Needing restoration?

Definitely a project, previous owner abandoned his restoration efforts when he
moved to Maine in 1975.  Car has sat in a garage ever since, in primer and all
chrome removed.  It appears all the mechanical work was done, but of course 30
years of indifferent storage have taken their toll.  I haven't done much to it
yet, only ran the engine for a few seconds since  all the hoses need to be
changed before it's filled with coolant.  The Stag has unfortunately taken up
most of my spare time.

> Just curious what you looked for when you bought a used TR3, since others on
> the list probably have done, or will do, same.

My primary concern was a body not needing any rust repair.  Didn't want to pay
for a finished car, and wanted to paint it my way anyway.  The plan at the time
was to get this car on the road in time for this summer, but now it looks like
that won't happen.  Oh well, I'm enjoying the Stag.

Randall