Reassembling rear drive-line

Subject: Reassembling rear drive-line
From: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 07:37:18 -0500
Greetings,

As I undertake the cleaning, painting and reassembly of the prop shaft
and outer axle-shafts for the TR4A, I am thinking ahead to when I put it
all back together on the car and a few questions have come to mine; do
any of you more experienced folks have any advice concerning:

1. Bolting the prop shaft flanges to diff and tranny.  Does it matter
for balance, etc. how the flanges are oriented?  I know the holes in the
flanges are NOT equidistant from each other, so the flange will only
meet up to the diff pinion/OD a certain way.  Is getting it on good
enough, or does it have to be only one way?

2. Same question, but for the outer axle shafts between the diff and
rear hubs.  When bolting the flanges to the diff does it matter for
balance?

3. The grease zerk in the u-joint; does it have to be oriented a
particular way, or is not hitting anything good enough?

4. How snug is too snug for u-joints? Mine rotate without force much
force exerted, but they are not as loose as they were before I replaced
them.  This seems natural to me since they have never been used, and I
would expect brand new u-joints to fit a bit snug.  What other sort of
things should I be looking for when replacing u-joints?

As always, thank you all for all of your support and help.  Hope to get
enough under my belt to return the favor some day.

Peace be with you!

Guy D. Huggins

1965 Triumph TR4A
CTC 63569LO