RE: Reassembling rear drive-line

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Randall"
Subject: RE: Reassembling rear drive-line
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:57:03 -0400
Randall,
My TR4A half shafts were not installed when I picked up the car so I can't
really go by how they were assembled. When you talk about making sure that
the yokes lie in the same plane when I reassemble them, what exactly are you
referring to? I have wondered about this possible problem myself.  I was
just looking at the spare set last weekend as I was planning on sending
those hubs off for rebuilding and I had noticed that the spline that
connects the two sections of the half shafts together is keyed so that it
can only slide together in one position. I thought I was home free. I also
noticed someone else with a TR4A had written that upon replacing his
universal joints, he has a noticeable vibration at about 40 MPH. So,, there
must be a right way and a wrong way to assemble these..
Thanks,
Dave Connitt