Re: Reassembling rear drive-line

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Reassembling rear drive-line
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:14:35 -0700 (PDT)
I find the U-joints to be pretty stiff on assembly. That's a good thing.

The goal with the zerks is to be able to get a grease gun on them
when everything is assembled. This maye take a couple of iterations.
I have, on some occasions, installed a set screw instead of
the zerk, and keep an extra long zerk of the correct thread
handy for maintenance.

This is truly a PITA, though, and leads to U-joints that don't
get lubed. Of course, pretty much the whole installation leads
to U-joints that don't get lubed.

If you're not doing this for concours, and maybe even if you
are, I suggest that you install the rubber splash shields for
the inner half-shaft U-joints. These were added for the TR5/TR250
and help a lot.

Also, use AN bolts and high-temp nylocs instead of the stock
British specials. I made this change and no longer have to worry
about the nuts coming loose from exhaust heat. You want
the AN6-10A bolt, with a single AN960-616 washer and AN365-624A nyloc nut.
(More details at www.dimebank.com/Bubbaspec.html)