RE: TR4A Issues - Hub Bolts and Gaiters

Subject: RE: TR4A Issues - Hub Bolts and Gaiters
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 01:26:10 -0700
> Of the 4 big bolts that stick out from the rear hub, (the ones that the
> wire wheel mount bolts up to) some are stripped.
> I am planning on running a dye in an attempt to clean the threads,

Personally, I wouldn't even try that !  Those studs take a beating, and running
a die over them will weaken them at least slightly, even if they weren't
stretched.  Believe me, having one break is no fun at all !  If a new nut won't
run easily all the way down the stud, the stud should be replaced.

> but
> if this is unsuccessful, how do you replace them?
> It looks as if they can be removed with a firm strike from a big hammer;

Depends on whether you have IRS or not.  IRS studs can be pounded out with a
BFH, but solid axle ones have to ground from the back and then unscrewed from
the face.

> but I am beginning to learn that things are rarely that easy.
> If I can remove them, from where can I get replacement?

The usual suspects should have them.  I got mine from TRF.  Every single stud on
my Stag was stretched when I got it.

Note that the studs are shorter for wire wheels ... if you get the solid wheel
studs, you'll have to cut them shorter.  And IMO you should definitely replace
the nuts, which are also special for wire wheels (and available at the usual
suspects).

Randall