Re: TR3A Valve Rocker Adjustment

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Valve Rocker Adjustment
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 16:50:10 -0700
Stephen Peca wrote:

>Would anyone suggest some tips, procedures, caveats before I go about this
>project?

Remember the 'rule of 9' to know which valve to adjust when.  Think of
them as numbered 1 thru 8, front to back.  When 1 is fully open then
adjust 8... when 2 is open, adjust 7... when 7, do 2... when 8 do 1... etc.

Of course they don't open in that order so do each based on what opens
next and keep track so you don't miss any.

If you have a hand crank then it is easy to turn the engine with it...
easier still if the plugs are out (why not inspect & clean or replace
them too?).

If no hand crank then put it in 4th gear and push forward on the top of
the drivers side tire to move the engine.  Put in neutral and push the
car back if you start to run out of room.

There are fancy gadgets for this job but an ordinary feeler gauge has
always worked for me.  Since they are adjusted cold it could hardly be
easier.

When you are all done go back and feel the amount of rock on each rocker
when its valve is fully closed to get an idea of what .010 feels like.
Should all feel the same -- double check if one feels different.

Treat yourself to a new valve cover gasket.  Some glue them to the valve
cover but I have never had a problem getting it to seal up fine with a
little blue Hylomar smeared on it.

A valve cover stud may come out when you take the valve cover off since
it has been awhile... use a pair of suitable nuts to remove the top nut
and then to reinsert the stud.  Note that the coarse threads go into the
head.

Geo Hahn