RE: Spitfire trouble

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire trouble
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 17:13:07 -0700
> Haven't yet solved the overdrive problem.  It doesn't like to come
> out of overdrive.  The problem seems to happen only when it is warm.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if the cause is just too much oil.

Unlikely, IMO.  Too much oil could lead to foaming and leaks, but shouldn't be
able to cause the hydraulic system to build pressure when it shouldn't.

> As I drove home gently it kept easing in and out of OD.

So it's definitely not a matter of clutches sticking or anything like that.

> Any other suggestions?

80 Spit would be a J-type, right ?  Have you had the solenoid out and apart ?
There are some fairly small orifices in there that could cause your symptoms if
they were partially plugged.  There's also an orifice inside the unit that could
cause the problem, but I don't recall offhand which plug it's behind.  I found
all the O-rings I needed to rebuild my J-type solenoid in a kit I got from HF,
and was able to reuse the circlip.

>  Bill E at QM
> recommended 30w non-detergent oil, which is what I put in it.  Could
> this be a factor?

Should work OK.  I believe Valvoline 20W50 racing oil is a better choice, as it
has a high level of a zinc-based additive that will help protect the
countershaft bearings & thrust washers; and is a low-detergent oil.  However,
using 30 wt non-detergent shouldn't cause the problems you're describing.

Randall