Re: TR3A Valve Rocker Adjustment

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Valve Rocker Adjustment
From: "Kurtis" <tr4driver@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 19:39:24 -0500
Stephen,

I definitely recommend you go ahead and adjust the valves.  5-1/2 years
seems a little long.  It's a fairly simple procedure.  I adjust mine at
least once a year, and usually twice.  I just remove the spark plugs (so the
engine will turn easier) and valve cover, then put the car in gear and roll
it back or forward (depending on which direction I have the most room) until
I note a valve opening.  I push or pull on the front wheel to roll the car -
 This way I can watch the valves operate.  When one fully opens, I just use
the "9 rule" to determine which valve to check/adjust.  The number of the
valve that is open plus the number of the valve you are adjusting should be
 equal to 9.  In other words, if the no. 2 valve is fully open, adjust the
no. 7 valve.  If the no. 5 valve is open, adjust the no. 4 valve (2+7=9,
5+4=9, etc.).  The whole process usually takes less than 20 minutes.

 Good luck!

 Kurtis Jones
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4 - CT19389L