Re: TR6 brake calipers

To: ASesso@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 brake calipers
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:07:17 -0400
Art,

I used a couple big screwdrivers to pry under the lip of each side of
the piston.  I had already seperated the halves of the caliper so, not
having tried it before, I am not certain that it can or cant be done
with the caliper together.  I also used PB blaster in an attempt to
loosen the bond between the piston and caliper.  If the pistons are
partially out of the calipers you might try forcing them in all the way
to break the rust seal holding the piston in.  I recall having to work
them in and out ever so slightly to get them to finally come out.  I
ended up replacing my old pistons with stainless steel pistons.  I also
cleaned my old pistons up enough so they would slide in and out easily
and used them to keep the paint overspray from the inside of the
caliper when I repainted.  As Randall mentioned, it has been written
that you shouldnt take the calipers apart.  I ignored the advice and
did it anyways.  I replaced the rubber seal between the halves and
after two driving seasons have had no problems with the calipers.
Brakes are doing great.  I do have a few pictures on the web site below
of the caliper in different stages of the rebuild.

Please let us know what you experience and what works.

Aaron

Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)
http://www.triumphowners.com/108