RE: Differentiation of different choices for differential

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Differentiation of different choices for differential
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:04:48 -0400
  Mark,

  If you look around, you might be able to find two parts CARS for $600.
My friend and I found two rust buckets whose bodies were well beyond
salvage and we took both drive trains as well as a host of other parts
so we have a couple differentials. Check your usual sources of used
parts in Canada to save international shipping charges or look on some
Canadian British or Triumph Club web sites for used parts. Or look into
ebay or other places for used differentials to find one that is
inexpensive enough to buy and have shipped to you. You say $600 EXTRA
to have it shipped to you implying that the parts will cost more than
the $600 and that you will still either have to do the differential
rebuild yourself or pay someone else more money to have it done. While
you may be taking a chance with a used differential considering the
cost that you have outlined I would think you could buy more than one
and still have spent less money than what you have described as it will
be costing you. I am not well versed in rebuilding differentials having
never done the repair myself but in reading list traffic for the last
three years and read the archives as far back as they exist, I havent
seen a pattern of post which describe the differential as being
extremely prone to failure. Leakage is another story, but not failure.
Any finally, the disclaimer. Others will undoubtably have other
opinions so I reserve the right to be partially or totally wrong. Just
my two cents.

 Cheers,

 Aaron

 Aaron Cropley