Re: generator polarization

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: generator polarization
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:39:11 EDT
In a message dated 7/7/2005 7:32:52 AM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
> >so I suspect there is an opportunity to screw
> >things up if you are not careful.
>
> Always worked fine for me.  Best to do it with the engine idling, otherwise
> you
> may have to immediately pull the contacts open again.

Which is my main concern.  If you don't reopen the contacts you can get some
excessive currents in a hurry.  But idling the engine is a clever way to avoid
the situation.

Most engine powered back-up generators also rely on residual magnetism.  Some
gensets even have a "Field Flash" button or control for the rare situation
where residual magnetism is lost.

Dave