Re: generator polarization

To: rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com, tr3driver@comcast.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: generator polarization
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 14:25:12 EDT
In a message dated 7/7/2005 1:12:38 PM Central Standard Time,
rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com writes:
> >Always worked fine for me.  Best to do it with the engine idling,
> otherwise
> >you
> >may have to immediately pull the contacts open again.
>
> What will happen?

The smoke in the wires escapes.

Seriously, the field and armature circuits are connected (by the regulating
contacts in the control box) and since the generator is not generating any
voltage they battery will feed current into the generator which is only limited
by
the DC resistance of the field and armature windings.  The harness wiring
cannot carry this much current for very long (which may be a good thing because
if they could the current would burn up the generator).

So if you do this with the engine stopped pull the contacts open as quickly
as possible.

Dave