Re: Tr3a speedos

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tr3a speedos
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:51:13 -0700
David Templeton wrote:

>... I notice the "model" number on the face is different,
>mine is a 1180 the replacement is a 1200. Is there a difference I should care
>about?

That number is the number of times the cable should turn in one mile.  I
doubt you'll really notice the difference... in fact with modern tires
there is an error already introduced.  You will probably want to
calibrate the speedo for your car in any case, I use a GPS and calibrate
to the speed that is most important in my neighborhood (40 mph).  Since
any speed error is usually not linear even after calibration it may be
off a bit at higher and lower speeds.

Can't do much about the odo (unless you change some internals) but easy
to highway check and see how far off it is.

Here is an HTML version of Tony Rhodes excellent speedo info:

http://triumphowners.com/resources.cgi?articleID=111194&parentID=111193&sectionID=111025

Geo H