RE: distributor details for a 1966 TR4A

To: "wmpless" <wmpless@iprimus.ca>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: distributor details for a 1966 TR4A
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:43:01 -0700
> With Distr. 41212 the engine did run but did not have much power. However,
> this could have caused by the correctly placed gasket between
> exh. manifold
> and down pipe. Gasket was 90 degr. off and blocking the bores about 50%.

I believe you'll find that the gasket (or possibly other items) will have
much more effect overall than the change in distributor curves.  The numbers
you've given look very different, but if you plot them up, you'll see that
the Mini distributor gives you more advance at most rpms, and more advance
generally translates to more power (unless the engine is knocking).

BTW, I'm also not convinced 40795A would be original on your engine.  My
information is that the 4A high compression engine used dist number 40798.
Chichak gives the 40798 as :
500     4.5
1300    10
3000    17

which has less advance under 2500 engine rpm, but more above that.  Should
have less of a tendency to knock when lugging the engine but more peak power
(especially when combined with the long tube intake and exhaust on the 4A).

> Any suggestions where I can have my dizzy matched up to the engine. TIA

Any "auto electric" shop should be able to rebuild your distributor (even
the wrong one) to the original advance curve for your engine.  That won't be
absolutely optimum, but it should be pretty close.  To get any better would
basically require testing on your engine, preferably on a chassis
dynamometer.

Randall