71 GT6 Brake Master

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 71 GT6 Brake Master
From: Cameron Rooke <beaker211@rogers.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:51:35 -0400 (EDT)
Greetings,

I think I have a problem with my brake master cylinder on my 71 GT6. It is the
dual line type. Yesterday at some point fluid leaked out, ran down under the
hood and onto the exterior paint almost perfectly in line with the hood latch.
This made a nice clean line of no paint on the body. :-(

I think it was leaking between the bowl and the cylinder itself, but I am not
100% positive - it could possibly have been from one of the brake line
connections (which I managed to tighten slightly). I am watching it closely
over the next few days to determine the exact location.

Anyway, if it is where the bowl attaches to the cylinder, I fear I may be in
trouble. This is obviuously the original part (to me, anyway). It must be -it
is rusted on pretty good. I don't think I could successfully repair anything on
it without damaging something.

I am not enamoured with the idea of spending $350 (VB price) on a new one if I
don't have to since I haven't told my wife yet that 'LBC' is actually short
form for 'Money Pit'. She still thinks this is just a cheap hobby. So, what are
my options? The later spitfire dual line MC is $100 cheaper. Will that work? If
I have to replace it, should I actually sell my minivan and re-do the whole
shootin' match (lines, etc.)? Some of the components look questionable -
especially the connectors.

Please consider that I am in Canada, so with the exchange rate the prices are
even more painful.

Thanks.

Cameron
'71 GT6