Continued: Coolant leaks on new engine (TR4A)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Continued: Coolant leaks on new engine (TR4A)
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:09:17 -0700
List,

I had discussed this issue (as listed below) last month.  Basically the
situation is that I noticed a leak from between the head and block, both
before I ever started the new engine and after I started it (it leaked more
when it was hot).  I finally got around to taking the head off, and I wanted
to see if anyone had any opinions regarding what I found.

1.  The freeze plug on the back of the head does not leak.  I saw the leak
before I took it all apart, and just stared at the freeze plug for a few
minutes.  It's solid.

2.  When I took the head off, I measured the liner protrusion using my
feeler gauges and a copper tube that I have (obviously the copper tube isn't
exactly flat, but it should be close).  Anyway, I measure the liners to
stick up 0.002, not the .003-.005 that it says in the workshop manual.
However, since the tube isn't flat, it could be really close to 0.003.  (I
measure my replacement figure-8 gaskets in my gasket kit at 0.015)  I think,
because of this data and the fact that I can see the rings where the liners
stuck up in the head gasket, that liner protrusion is not causing my
problem.

3.  There was a little oil in the cylinders.  However, the engine is brand
new and has run for a total of about 30 minutes so far and nothing has been
set as far as carbs and timing goes, so I would think it's probable that the
rings and valves haven't seated yet.  I didn't really see any smoke when it
was running.

4.  I used copper spray sealant to help seal the head gasket.  I don't see
the sealant residue everywhere on the block - for instance, between #3
cylinder and the lifter tube hole.  While it might be possible that the
block isn't level, that would be a LOT of metal to bend to make it so.  I
think it's more a case of the copper stuff just isn't a good sealant, or
maybe the applicator (me) didn't do a good job spraying it.

5.  I have some powder coating that wraps around the edges of the block,
including where the gasket sits right on the lifter side edge of the block.
I will remove all block-top powder coat before reassembly.

Question - does it matter if the solid copper side of the gasket or the
other side goes against the block or against the head?  I can feel the ridge
with my fingernail where the copper wraps around the holes in the gasket -
maybe the solid side should go down to be as flat as possible against the
block?

Sort of at a loss - I figured I'd find a liner sticking up too far, and that
would be it.  But that's not the case.  Perhaps a bad head gasket?  Any
other suggestions?  Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

'66 & '67 TR4A