RE: Continued: Coolant leaks on new engine (TR4A)

To: "'Terry Smith'" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Continued: Coolant leaks on new engine (TR4A)
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:20:47 -0700
Terry, Randall, and list,

I know the head was planed level.  I doubt the block was, but I spot-checked
it with a bar and a feeler gauge, and it's pretty good as well (also, that's
a lot of metal to warp out-of-plane).

The head studs aren't stretched, and the nuts go down fine.  Tightening was
done in the order stated in the workshop manual, and rechecked.

It seems like this problem is really limited to 4 possibilities:
1.  Out-of-plane head:  Mine appears OK, and I am remembering that the shop
planed it.
2.  Out-of-plane block:  Mine appears OK; however, there is a bit of powder
coat on the edges of the block that I will remove before reassembly - the
culprit?  Remains to be seen.
3.  Excessive liner protrusion:  I get 0.002 with my gauge - the WM says
.003-.005, but I have good indentions from the liners on the old head
gasket, and I had no coolant in the cylinders.  I don't think this is the
problem.
4.  Bad gasket and/or gasket not sealing:  There are areas where the copper
gasket adhesive can't be seen on the block.  Perhaps the gasket didn't
'stick' well enough?

Any others come to mind?

Thanks,
Jeff