Re: Continued: Coolant leaks on new engine (TR4A)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Continued: Coolant leaks on new engine (TR4A)
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:21:26 -0400
> 3.  There was a little oil in the cylinders.  However, the engine is brand
> new and has run for a total of about 30 minutes so far and nothing has
> been
> set as far as carbs and timing goes, so I would think it's probable that
> the
> rings and valves haven't seated yet.  I didn't really see any smoke when
> it
> was running.

Just a question, Jeff.  Since this is a rebuild, did you have the head and
block checked (and decked, if necessary) at a machine shop to ensure level
smooth surface?  Did you torque the head in the sequence given in the
manual?  (Staggered bolts, center to sides, one-quarter or one-third
incremental torques?)  And did you re-torque after running the engine to
temperature the first time?

> 4.  I used copper spray sealant to help seal the head gasket.  I don't see
> the sealant residue everywhere on the block - for instance, between #3
> cylinder and the lifter tube hole.  While it might be possible that the
> block isn't level, that would be a LOT of metal to bend to make it so.  I
> think it's more a case of the copper stuff just isn't a good sealant, or
> maybe the applicator (me) didn't do a good job spraying it.

I don't know about the copper spray sealant.  I do know that others on the
list suggest Permatex Aviation Seal.

> 5.  I have some powder coating that wraps around the edges of the block,
> including where the gasket sits right on the lifter side edge of the
> block.
> I will remove all block-top powder coat before reassembly.

Good idea.  There was no indication where it might be leaking--either on the
gasket or on the metal--when you took the head off this time?

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A  (Body still off, rest mostly done.)
New Hampshire