RE: Continued: Coolant leaks on new engine (TR4A)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Continued: Coolant leaks on new engine (TR4A)
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:44:17 -0700
> 4.  Bad gasket and/or gasket not sealing:  There are areas where the copper
> gasket adhesive can't be seen on the block.  Perhaps the gasket didn't
> 'stick' well enough?

My experience has been that if something is wrong, no amount of adhesive/sealer
will fix it.  And if everything is right, no adhesive/sealer is necessary.  I
now install my TRactor motor head gaskets bare.

But if you want to use a sealer, get a good one like Yammabond or the stuff
Mordy Dunst sells.
http://www.headgasket.com/products.html

I am curious, though, if you have a good enough straight edge to be checking the
block deck with it, why didn't you use it on the head instead of a chunk of pipe
?  Did you remove the studs when you checked the deck ?

> Any others come to mind?

Perhaps it's different on a TR4A, but on a TR3 there really isn't enough room
behind the head to see the bottom edge of the core plug clearly.  If I were in
your position, I'd replace it anyway.

Also, did you have the head magnafluxed for cracks ?

If nothing else works, there's always Aluma-Seal ... <G>

Randall