Re: not specifically triumph, but vintage related

To: OC@46thFoot.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: not specifically triumph, but vintage related
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:49:12 EDT
In a message dated 8/4/2005 1:19:26 PM Central Standard Time, OC@46thFoot.com
writes:
> I got the impression from this list that most
> of us drive our Triumphs daily (I, here in UK, certainly do).  Perhaps
> Triumphs are simply more reliable and useful than the average classic...

Mike, there are special classifications for "historic" vehicles here in the
US.  It varies from state to state but the car owner has the choice of
licensing an old car under the regular system that allows unlimited driving or
special "historic" or "antique" classification that has many restrictions (once
again varying from state to state) but at reduced cost and usually reduced MOT
evaluation.

Companies like Hagerty's will insure only those cars in the latter
classification.  Cars in the former, which are driven daily, will be required
to acquire
insurance through normal channels.

For example: My TR3 and TR6 have Historic plates and are insured through
Hagerty.  I am required to keep a mileage log for these two cars and am
restricted
to driving to shows, club events, parades and 1000 personal miles per year.
My TR8 has normal plates and is subject to biannual inspections and is insured
through State Farm (a large, well known insurance company that handles, home,
life and auto insurance) but I can drive it daily - and I do when the weather
is nice - which is most of the spring, summer and fall.

Cheers

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6