RE: Leaking carb float

To: "Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Leaking carb float
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:34:59 -0700
> Is it common for floats to fail like this?

It's about the only way they can fail, but I wouldn't call it common.  In 20
years of TR3 ownership I only recall one bad float, and I replaced it with a
used original.

> Could I have any luck soldering all those cracks up?

Unlikely, IMO, but you could try.  The problem I had is that the brass
expands and moves as you heat it.  Then when you remove the heat, it moves
again and makes a bad solder joint.  Not to mention the air being sucked in
as the float cools.  If you get the float too warm all over, the main joint
will separate and things will get worse.

Possibly the trick is to bed the float in some modeling clay, to keep the
rest of it cool while you work.  Never tried that myself.

Randall