Re: Now Lucas vs BUSS fuses

To: tr4@drooartz.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Now Lucas vs BUSS fuses
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:48:36 EDT
In a message dated 10/17/2005 12:20:53 PM Central Standard Time,
tr4@drooartz.com writes:
> Really does make me wonder if the Brits just felt some overriding need to
> be contrary. Hmm...

It's not a question of being contrary.  Fuse rating systems are arbitrary.
Do you rate them for the current they will carry or do you rate them for the
current at which they will open?  We arbitrarily chose the former and the Brits
arbitrarily chose the latter.

> Is there an advantage to using Lucas fuses over the appropriate BUSS fuse
> (assuming one gets
> the proper rating from the chart you included)? I would guess that it is
> simpler to find a BUSS
> fuse, but I can always stock up on Lucas-rated fuses if I need to.

The AGC fuses are slightly longer than the Lucas fuses.  This is not an issue
on TR3's or TR6's which have fuse blocks that will accommodate the longer
fuses but the TR7/8 fuse block will not accept the longer US fuses.  Perhaps
the
Stag as well is the same way.(?)  But be sure to derate the US fuses
appropriately (as detailed in Randall's post).

BTW BUSS is a defacto generic (and possibly a registered trademark) of
Bussman Industries, a fuse manufacturer which is now a division of Cooper
Industries.  A "bus" as in data bus or power bus is spelled with one S.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org