Re: Now Lucas vs BUSS fuses

To: jrherrera90@hotmail.com, bdischer@blakedischer.com, tr4@drooartz.com,
Subject: Re: Now Lucas vs BUSS fuses
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:09:37 EDT
In a message dated 10/17/2005 1:44:40 PM Central Standard Time,
jrherrera90@hotmail.com writes:
> Volts don't open fuses. Amps open fuses. The voltage drop across a good
> fuse
> is zero. The voltage drop across an open fuse is source voltage.
>
> Volts don't flow. Amps flow. If one of my students said that volts flowed,
> I'd just smacke 'em up side of the haid.
>
> Not really, but I'd threaten with it.

Perhaps an analogy would be apropos here.  Voltage in an electrical system is
analogous to water pressure in a pipe.  Voltage is sometimes referred to as
electromotive force.  Current is analogous to water flow.  Water flow through a
pipe will produce a pressure drop in the same way as current flow through a
conductor produces a voltage drop (at least until you start to apply some
quantitative analysis and find out that voltage drop is proportional to current
but
pressure drop is proportional to the square of water flow).

There is a device called an hydraulic fuse (or words to that effect).  It as
a valve that stays open until flow exceeds a preset value when a shuttle will
move to close off flow.  These are great for protecting against pipe rupture.

But do you rate these at the flow rate it will allow on a constant basis or
the flow rate at which it will shut off?

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org