Re: [TR] Re: Supplemental Oil Line

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Re: Supplemental Oil Line
From: John Dombey <jdombey@infoscapecorp.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 11:36:28 -0700
Joe,

I can vouch for this effect.  I had a supplemental line on my fresh rebuild
(9.5:1, late cam, ported & lightly polished, new seats and guides), and sitting
at a stop light on a warm day I would be very embarrassed by the large cloud of
blue smoke engulfing the cars behind me (of course, I could claim that it was
part of the mosquito-abatement program...).  Like Alex's car, pressure is 75
cold, 60-ish at speed, and 45-50 at warm idle (which is around 1000 rpm - I've
got a slight vacuum leak somewhere that hasn't been annoying enough to track
down...)  I asked the machinist who did the guides & seats and he reminded me
that there are no stem seals, and that removing the external feed might be
worth a try.  I did, and the problem went away completely - surprised the heck
outta me as I was ready to pull the head and go beat up on the machinist.  So
the bottom line is that it looks cool, but really isn't necessary on a healthy
engine.  If you've got worn rockers or maybe low pres!
 sure then it could be a temporary fix I suppose, or if you have stem seals
(not 'umbrella' seals) installed, then it probably would be just fine, and
you'd get plenty of lubrication up there.  The downside of that has been
mentioned in other posts.

John
'69 TR6
'81 TR8