Re: [TR] Re: Supplemental Oil Line

To: tr3driver@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Re: Supplemental Oil Line
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 18:32:16 EDT
In a message dated 7/3/2006 1:04:47 PM Pacific  Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
I agree entirely with Michael;  but wanted to add one more often-overlooked
problem.  Because of the  deliberately low flow rate and pressure through the
rocker lube system, it is  particularly apt to fill with sludge and fail to
lube
the front  rockers.  It only takes a few minutes to check for this when
setting
the  valves ... just start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes with
the
rocker cover off.  You should see oil flow through the front rocker  by then;
if
not, it's time to clean out the rocker shaft.

I've also  not seen anyone mention the increased clearance required with  the
phosphor-bronze valve guides that seem to be so popular.  More  clearance
means
more leakage past the stem, which will be oil if that's  what's above the
guide.

Back int he 60's. I sort of  invented  a luber because the machine shop had
not installed my rear cam  bearing correctly and I had no oil flow into the
rockers. I discovered it with  the engine in the car, getting ready to move to
Texas from California, I drilled  out one of the bolts in the oil gallery and
one on the back of the head   and connected tubing between the drilled out
bolts
(I had brazed nipples on the  heads). It lasted until the next rebuild 20
years later.
That is the only  reason i can think of for an additional lube line.

Best, Mike Moore

===     http://www.vtr.org