RE: [TR] Re: Supplemental Oil Line

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Re: Supplemental Oil Line
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 15:59:09 -0700
> Back int he 60's. I sort of  invented  a luber because the machine shop had
> not installed my rear cam  bearing correctly and I had no oil flow into the
> rockers. I discovered it with  the engine in the car, getting ready
> to move to
> Texas from California, I drilled  out one of the bolts in the oil gallery and
> one on the back of the head   and connected tubing between the
> drilled out bolts
> (I had brazed nipples on the  heads). It lasted until the next rebuild 20
> years later.
> That is the only  reason i can think of for an additional lube line.

FWIW (not much) I once installed an external feed for the same reason.  The
previous owner had run it that way for perhaps 10,000 miles before I got it, but
it was already in the car before I noticed the problem.  Why are these pushrods
rusty ???

After installing the oil feed, and even adding some restriction to the line, I
literally got a warning from the California Air Resources Board for excessive
smoke !

Adding some valve stem seals solved the problem for awhile ... but eventually
one of them became dislodged and cost me a piston. (Oil has an extremely low
octane, but I apparently couldn't hear only one cylinder knock over the general
mechanical racket of a tired engine).  So, I ran a long drill bit down through
the block (with the cylinder head off) and drilled through the bearing insert !

I definitely do NOT recommend this to others, but it worked for a long time for
me.  Somehow that old short block (by now with a rebuilt head & rocker shaft,
plus used liners & pistons, new bearings, etc.) just kept running ... it's
sitting in my driveway today.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org