RE: [TR] Re: Bakelite - best glue?

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Re: Bakelite - best glue?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 22:19:22 -0700
> In my experience, JB Weld is the ideal candidate.

I'll ditto JB Weld.  Was just looking at an outdoor repair I made with it maybe
10 years ago, still looks fine.  Better than the stainless steel it's on !

But I do always use the slow-curing variety.  The 5-minute stuff doesn't seem
nearly as strong, to me.

Another tip, don't worry about cleaning the joint while it's wet.  Let it
harden, and then file to suit.  It cuts easy with an ordinary file and a light
touch, so with care you should be able to avoid damaging the original bakelite
too much.

The Bakelite case of my antique Weller soldering gun is about 60% JB Weld at
this point <g>

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org