RE: [TR] Windshield top seal

To: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Windshield top seal
From: "Kirby Vaughan" <mrkirbyv@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 22:48:04 -0400
Terry,
I just did this with my TR6. Can't imagine its too much different with the
TR3. I was successful doing it alone after a couple of tries.
I tried soaping up the gasket as recommended but it just seemed to make a
mess on the dash and dried out before I got to the hard parts. I ended up
using Sil-Glyde on the corners and the ends, the straight parts go in fairly
easily. Sil=Glyde is supposedly for lubing rubber parts so it shouldn't hurt
the rubber.
I used an 1/8" nylon rope around the gasket. Run the rope around the
windshield with both ends coming out at the bottom center. Set the glass in
the frame with as much of the gasket over the bottom of the pinchweld as you
can get. On the TR6 I ended up having to run a second rope around the
outside flange because it was curling in and keeping the gasket from sliding
down as far as it should. The rope allowed me to pull it up and away from
the windshield so I could push the glass down into place.
Start at the bottom and pull about a foot in each direction and make sure it
is pulling the gasket over the frame. As I went I was constantly stopping
and pushing the glass down onto the frame. Until you get around the corners
it won't go very far. The first corner is tough but once you get around the
corner it almost pulls itself onto the frame as you go. Just keep working a
little at a time, alternating sides and pushing it down onto the frame. If
you get it pushed down tightly on the bottom of the frame, the top corner
will pop on just fine. If it is hanging badly at the top corner, it probably
is not down on the bottom pinchweld far enough, so keep working it. If its
just not working, don't be afraid to pop it back out and start again. Thats
better than tearing the gasket.
I had more problems getting the gasket onto the glass than getting it into
the frame. Boy what a bear that was!
Hope that helps!
Kirby...
'74 TR6 White