Re: [TR] Spark Plug Gap Question

To: 75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Spark Plug Gap Question
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 07:38:21 EDT
In a message dated 7/9/2006 6:24:09 PM Central Standard Time,
75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org writes:
> I was just reading Dan's Electrical Maintenance Handbook section on the
> ballast wire and how it's not needed with the Lucas Sport Coil. What I
> didn't pick up on at first is that he's recommending a wider plug gap when
> using the Sport Coil. He suggests using a starting point of .035 versus the
> normal .025. I've been still gapping my plugs at .025. What will be the
> symptoms if the gap gets too big? And what do you gap at with the Sport Coil
> and no ballast wire?

A gap that is too wide will cause misfire at low speeds and heavy throttle
when hot.  I fought that problem on my TR6 for a couple of years checking
everything BUT the plug gap.  I finally regapped to .025 and the problem was
gone.
Magic.

But running a wider gap will put more stress on the distributor rotor and
since there has been a rash of rotor failures of late I am loath to put rotors
under any unnecessary stress and since the TR6 runs just fine at .025 I suggest
keeping that setting.

Dave
71 TR6

===     http://www.vtr.org