Re: [TR] Spark Plug Gap Question

To: 75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Spark Plug Gap Question
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:00:03 EDT
In a message dated 7/9/2006 7:21:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org writes:

> He suggests using a starting point of .035 versus the
> normal .025. I've been still gapping my plugs at .025. What will be the
> symptoms if the gap gets too big? And what do you gap at with the Sport Coil
> and no ballast wire?

Bob,

I think that the theory behind setting a wider spark plug gap when using the
sport coil or any coil which raises the voltage to the spark plugs is to take
advantage of a hotter spark from a spark across a wider gap.  The standard gap
of .025" with a sport coil won't allow the spark to be any hotter than a
standard coil would produce over a .025" gap.  But, a high voltage coil can
span a
larger gap and generate a hotter spark.  Of course, there's a theoretical
limit to the wider gap where, even with a high voltage coil, the plug would
misfire (I don't know what that limit is).

I've experimented with various spark plug gaps on my TR6 with a Lucas Sport
Coil and I've come to like .032".....no scientific data - I just like the color
of the plugs when I change them each fall.

Interesting question on spark plug gap using a sport coil with or without
ballast wire.  I would guess that the manufacturer of the coil would design the
coil to produce the same secondary voltage regardless of ballast (12 volts vs.
8 volts)....it's all just a matter of internal wire size and number of turns!

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA  USA

'76 TR6 CF57822U