RE: [TR] radiator acceptable?

To: "TriumphList" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] radiator acceptable?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:55:14 -0700
> At what water temp do you start doing harm to the engine?

There is no specific temperature that necessarily does rapid harm, but any
overheating tends to accelerate wear.

> Off course, when
> I did then I could hear it 'singing' and fuming.

That is considerably more dangerous, since that 'singing' is steam escaping
through the radiator cap.  Steam of course means there is not liquid coolant in
some parts of the engine, and steam is a lousy coolant (compared to water), so
that probably indicates localized overheating far in excess of what your
temperature gauge says.  This can possibly lead to a cracked head.

It's probably fine, but keep your eyes open for any signs of combustion gases
getting into the coolant.  I've seen lots of cracked heads come off TRactor
motors, but they rarely cause any serious problems.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org