RE: [TR] Hot/stumbling GT6+

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Hot/stumbling GT6+
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:36:06 -0700
> Now I am looking
> at the timing and it appears to be way  advanced right at the end of
> the scale
> at idle.  What would be a good place  to retard it too?

Darrell, According to my GT6+ manual, the timing should be either 4 ATDC or 6
BTDC, depending on whether the vacuum retard module is present, connected and
working, or not.  My advice would be to disconnect and plug the line, then set
the timing to the 6 BTDC value ... but US emissions regulations at the time
required that it be set to 4 ATDC with the line connected.

But before doing that, I'd want to check :

(a) that the timing marks are reasonably accurate ... it should have been nearly
impossible to start with the timing that far advanced.  Peer down a plug hole
(or feel with a coat hangar or popsicle stick) to find approx TDC on #1 or #6
(whichever is easier) then look at how the marks line up.

(b) that the mechanical advance hasn't taken leave of it's senses.

(c) that someone hasn't put a vacuum advance on in place of a vacuum retard, and
connected it to the vacuum retard port.

(c) is easy to check, the engine should speed up when you disconnect the line to
the vacuum retard.  If it stays the same, then the vacuum module isn't working
(possibly the carb is  configured for advance rather than retard).  If it drops,
then the module is advancing the spark rather than retarding it.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org