RE: [TR] Hot/stumbling GT6+

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Hot/stumbling GT6+
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 17:15:18 -0700
> Running OK but I can still  feel the stumble at low RPM's.  You think
> I should
> go more? I have never  heard a ping at all.

That still has me thinking there is a problem with the mechanical advance or
with the timing marks.  Especially with a modified motor, normally one modifies
for as much compression as possible (since that makes more power, burns less
fuel, etc.).  Since knock is the limiting factor, and even a factory motor will
knock with too much advance ... just seems like something isn't right with this
picture.

In case I'm being overly cryptic, one possible scenario is that your mechanic
did set the timing by the book, but later the mechanical advance springs broke
(or fell off) and now the advance is just waving in the breeze.  That would make
it both go to full advance at idle, explaining what you've seen with the timing
being too fast; and allow it to flop around under some circumstances, which
might cause the stumble you're trying to fix.

> The GT will ride the trailer to Texas but I want to drive it once there of
> course.  Just had a report from a friend and it is 105 there.

Given the GT6' reputation for cooking it's occupants even in moderate weather,
you may want to rethink that <G>

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org