Re: [TR] 123 Electronic Distributors

To: "BobDanielson" <75tr6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Subject: Re: [TR] 123 Electronic Distributors
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 05:13:37 -0700
Bob,
I converted my old Spitfire Tach many years ago, from a mechanical to
electrical when I went to a V6 because at that time, there were no
electrical ones, and it was for a four cylinder anyway.  At that time I
used, I believe, a Sun tach, and simply drilled two new mounting holes in
the old case 90 degrees from the original for the mounting screws since the
sun had them at slightly different spacing and needed them at those
positions and simply installed the needle from my old one onto the guts".
Been in there ever since, and other than the two screws (which are on the
back of the tach case) you can't tell.  It was certainly much cheaper than
what you were quoted - I would see if there is something that will fit in
the case with minimal mods -
Also, you might try to acquire an electronic tach (they were made, might
need a needle change to match yours) later Spitfires had them and someone
on the list may be able to tell you what to change to make it a six
cylinder instead of a four (possibly a resistor change) or find one made
for a six - there are certainly other options -

> Anyone ever convert their tach to
>electronic?
>
>Thanks
>
>Bob Danielson