[TR] Trailers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Trailers
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 09:58:25 +0100
Dear All,

Very many thanks to all those who responded to my request for comments
on the various types of car-removal accessories available.   It seems
clear that a proper trailer, with twin axles and brakes, is the "ne plus
ultra" - dollies are OK, but a trailer is the bee's knees!   Robert's
suggestion that I store a trailer underneath a car that is not in use
got me very excited - until I realised that the longer of the two
garages that I rent is about 10' long, and a trailer is likely to be
more than half as long again!   I haven't seen a knock-down version of a
full car transporter trailer, Randall, but I'll certainly let you know
if I do.

My options seem to be to pay someone to move cars for me, to hire a
decent trailer, or to buy a dolly and accept that there will be some
cars that I would not be able to move that way.   Second-hand dollies in
decent nick seem to be selling for about three times the cost of hiring
a big trailer or getting a car transported professionally.   On that
basis, and considering that the first task I would want to accomplish
would be to tow away a non-road-legal 2500S with a good engine, using a
road-legal 2500S with a very dodgy engine, I think I had better just pay
someone to move the donor car on this occasion!

ATB
--
Mike
Ellie  - 1963 White Triumph Herald 1200 Convertible GA125624 CV

===     http://www.vtr.org