RE: [TR] TR3A: Let sleeping bushings lie?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3A: Let sleeping bushings lie?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 06:44:35 -0700
> I had cause to take the RF suspension apart and figured I should
> replace the bushings in the lower arms.  The inner
> nylon ones are quite deformed and the inner steel ones (inside the
> nylon) are virtually welded to the mounting points,
> if it wasn't for the Moss diagram I would swear there weren't any
> removable parts beyond the nylon ones.
>
> My dilemma is: do I heat/cut/hammer them off to reveal a mounting
> point of unknown quality which cant easily be
> replaced (risking damage in the process), or do I leave well enough
> alone and replace only the nylon bushings, knowing
> that theyll be the ones that will have most of the future
> deflection/wear etc

Personally, I would replace them.  If the mounting pin is too rotten to use, I'd
much rather know that now, than find it out while taking a curve on the
interstate, or worse yet, braking hard in traffic.

BTDT, wasn't a lot of fun.  Fortunately I was able to straddle the median to
avoid hitting the car in front of me, without any damage to either car.

To get them off easily, start by cutting a lengthwise slot with a Dremel and
abrasive cutoff blade.  Be sure to wear eye protection and buy a supply of
blades, they break easily.  Don't cut quite all the way through the sleeve, just
most of the way.  Then use a hammer and cold chisel to break the remaining metal
and spread the slot ... the sleeve should slip off easily after that with no
further damage to the pin.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org