Re: [TR] TR3A: Let sleeping bushings lie?

To: amcewen2@cogeco.ca, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A: Let sleeping bushings lie?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:47:17 EDT
In a message dated 7/26/2006 8:23:08 AM Central Standard Time,
amcewen2@cogeco.ca writes:
> I had cause to take the RF suspension apart and figured I should replace
> the bushings in the lower arms.  The inner
> nylon ones are quite deformed and the inner steel ones (inside the nylon)
> are virtually welded to the mounting points,
> if it wasn't for the Moss diagram I would swear there weren't any removable
> parts beyond the nylon ones.
>
> My dilemma is: do I heat/cut/hammer them off to reveal a mounting point of
> unknown quality which cant easily be
> replaced (risking damage in the process), or do I leave well enough alone
> and replace only the nylon bushings, knowing
> that theyll be the ones that will have most of the future deflection/wear
> etc

I usually attack this problem with an angle grinder.  I grind the steel
spacer along an axial line until the inner post just barely shows.  At this
point I
can get some penetrating oil into the space between AND I can turn it with a
big Crescent wrench.  With a little turning and a little oil it will walk off
with virtually no damage to the steel pin underneath.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org